Sunday, August 5, 2012

Werking it.


To summarise my life right now, I am now a full time second year fashion design student at CPUT with a standing copy editing obligation to All Things Fashion Africa, a part-time social media and design research assistant for matchmybag.com, a blogger, a sales assistant at Merchants, a worship team member and a youth leader at my church, and soon (hopefully), a campus ambassador for Stylitics.com (more on them later). ‘How am I still standing?’ is a question I ask myself some mornings. Not in a cocky ‘I must be superwoman’ kind of way, because for all that work, I still live a pretty privileged, sheltered, easy life - one I’m very grateful for. I ask it more in terms of why I put myself through all this, and why haven’t I crashed from exhaustion yet?
The answer to the first question is simple: I like to be kept busy. Wanting to have my finger in every pot is simply who I am. I am restless, curious, and a little over-ambitious (working on that), so having all this going on works for me - on paper. Physically going through this ridiculous schedule everyday makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes almost all the time. But am I willing to give any of it up? No. Because I love everything I’m doing (yes, even school :P), and because everything I do is helping me get somewhere.
The answer to the second question has got to be God’s grace. I depend on God for everything, and although some people think that’s a sign of weakness, I believe it takes a strong person to put their faith in God and allow Him to run things, trusting that everything will work out for good because of that faith. So yeah, God’s grace, and good planning gets me through the day. I’m getting so much better at that! Last week is proof. I went to Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Cape Town (so awesome!!! more on that later) - almost all the shows, and even a party/show hosted by CSquared at The Reserve, while going to class in the mornings and successfully completing my pattern assignment for the week. A small step, but a step nonetheless.
So yeah, that’s me right now. Werking it (love saying that) and loving it. :D This is the first and last serious post; from now on, it'll just be random stuff that I think relates to this subject. Now I have to go, because I have to get back to work. ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment